Search This Blog

Friday 29 April 2016

Who raises your children?

Parents debate this issue all the time. Is a stay at home parent better, worse or the same as a working parent? Does leaving your child in the care of others hurt or damage them? Does staying at home with them mean they'll be raised better?

Leaving your child in the care of others doesn't hurt or damage them unless the person they're in the care of is hurting or damaging them. In some cases the children's own parents hurt or damage them so you can't rule out another person doing a better job than parents.

I've seen some stay at home mother's who are ridiculously bad at getting their children to behave and be good, respectful human beings, which means being a stay at home parent doesn't necessarily mean your children will be better off.
It really boils down to the type of parent you are and how good you are at getting your children to use manners, getting your children into a bedtime routine, getting your children to behave outside of the house etc.

I am a stay at home mum by choice and not because I think there is anything wrong with working while leaving your children in childcare. I was a childcare baby and I'm not hurt or damaged and, let's face it, as adults you can't tell who was a childcare baby and who wasn't (or can you?). I choose to raise my children myself because I honestly believe there is no one who is going to love and nurture my children as much as I do, aside from my partner.

They might have some decent teachers (though I've met many who are terrible, leaving me wonder if they even like children). They might have family members who love and cherish them, they might have fun and friendly childcare workers. There are any number of other adults my children will meet and know. I know many great parents who mind their own children well and would be able to mind my children just as well.

Raise them yourself, put them in care, have other family members help out... what matters is your children are loved and safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment