Search This Blog

Monday 21 March 2016

Run your house like a ship

Ships have captains and crew who band together to make sure the ship is running in tip top shape. The captain is the one who overseas the duties, takes note of what duties need to be done and delegates those duties.


Some captains are better than others; they can see which duties need to be done better than others, they can delegate better than others, they can inspire and lead. You can't be a cutthroat captain. We're not pirates. You're not trying to behead the crew or make them walk the plank. Don't be a naggy captain, don't be bossy, don't be controlling, don't be domineering, don't be precious, don't sit around making the crew do all the work. 

Captains lead and inspire. For example I've talked to my children about what's expected of them and the things I'm expected to do. They don't have the really hard core jobs like cooking and washing dishes. Though they could if you choose, because each captain is different and has different strong suits. Maybe you can't cook or washing dishes bores you tears or you really dislike vacuuming. That's where delegation comes in and also negotiation
It was one of my children's jobs to do the dishes nightly while I vacuumed once a week (or once a month if I could get away with it because I really don't like vacuuming). I don't mind dishes though so we negotiated swapping chores. Even though I'm now washing dishes more regularly than the vacuuming gets done I don't mind because I don't mind washing dishes.

As with ships it's also a good idea to have each person know what their roles are and how often duties need to be done. If I leave the compost bowl on the bench where my children pass it often, the child whose job it is to empty the compost automatically sees that visual cue and empties the compost. If I say to one child "I've got a job for you" they'll come and see what job I mean and then do that job. They might groan a little yet they still do the job. As captain I make sure of it.

In my house there are two captains and we take it in shifts and each have our own duties. When one captain has been at the wheel for a long time the other takes over. I do the usual things like shower, bath and toilet. Not because I like house work. I don't. Because I'm the one who is home more often and I do a better job. While the other captain does the laundry and most of the cooking because they're better at it. It work is ship shape.

You might be doing none of the work and leaving it all to others, or your housework doesn't get done by anyone but you and you can't get others to help.

If you're the former you maybe the type of family who doesn't care that your house is messy. Maybe your whole family loves never having to do anything. Or maybe you like being lazy while others do all the work. What' ever floats your boat (pardon the pun), however you might find your ship sinking one day.

If you're the latter you need to start an open dialog about how you need help and what you expect others to do and when. If you've never done this before it will take some practice to get people to listen or help. Stay strong and keep trying until you find your happy balance.

Remember a ship cannot be run by one person alone. It is too much work for one person to do. You all contribute to the state of your ship as a crew therefore you must all contribute to the running and maintenance of your ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment