Search This Blog

Friday 22 December 2017

Turn the TV off

Do you struggle to get your children's attention because they've got their head buried in an iPad, laptop, game or TV?

In this electronic babysitter era it can be hard to get your child's attention. The devices can be hypnotising with monotonous music and repetitive actions... and your voice is but a distant sound off in the far yonder. 

Sometimes I'll ask my children something and get ignored. 

"What? Did somebody say something?" They wonder for all of about half a second before being lost in their virtual world again.

To get their attention sometimes I need to get drastic!

I might ask a second time and if I still don't get an answer I'll go right up to them and look them in the eye until they look at me. Sometimes I'll turn the TV off or take their gadgets away mid play. They'll protest and say they're going to die (in the game) if I don't give it back.

"Too bad," I say, "It's nothing compared to what might happen if you continue to ignore me." 

Such as maybe the device will be banned for a day, two days, a week.

What methods do you use to get your child's attention when their gadgets stop them from paying attention to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment