Search This Blog

Thursday 29 January 2015

Sit down and eat together


When you were growing up did your family sit around the table together eating a meal? Did your parents join you and did you all have lovely chats about your day? Or were you one of those families who ate in front of the TV with little to no conversation because you were glued to what you're watching? Or maybe you all ate in separate rooms?

Mine did not sit together. The kids ate at the dinning table while parents ate in the lounge room in front of the TV. There was no conversation and if kids talked at the table we got in trouble. Some times sent to the laundry to eat or to bed without finishing our dinner.

Now I have my own family we always sit together at the dinner table for meals. We chat and talk about our day or things that are on our mind. We take the time to sit and enjoy our food and our time together as a family. Now and then one child will be told to eat more / talk less, or calm down because they're getting a bit silly. Overall it's fun family time together.
Do you think it's important to have that quality family time together? Do you think it's important to have meal times together? Do you think it's important to have that time together to talk about the things that are on your mind while enjoying a nice (with any luck) meal together?

I think it's crucial. Here's why: my childhood, eating away from parents who didn't ask us how my day was, who didn't get involved in my life aside from making sure I didn't embarrass them in anyway, felt isolated and like I didn't matter. My parents didn't get to know me or how I ticked or what my concerns were. If I felt suicidal they never knew. When I lost my virginity they never knew I had a boyfriend let alone started having sex. Growing up it was them (parents) and us (children) as separate entities and then they wondered why, as adults, we don't feel very akin to them.

You might be one of those families who don't eat together and still take the time to spend with your children. That's good, though I still think there is something special about coming together over the family dinning table. If you are one of those families who don't eat with your children, don't talk with your children, have that them and us way of treating your children then I urge you to make a change. Don't neglect or ignore your children because you never know what's on there mind (think Elliot Rodger).

My childhood taught me that talking with my children is a good thing to achieve as a parent. Knowing them, spending time with them, talking with them, learning about what things are important to them. Also I like to cook so sitting together at the dinner table, savouring and enjoying our meal, is the perfect time to spend quality time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment