Search This Blog

Thursday 12 February 2015

I want vs can I please have

Child: "I want (insert item)."
Parent: "I want 1 million dollars delivered by Keanu Reeves but that's not going to happen."

Point: you can't always get what you want.

I was out and about shopping and I heard a little girl in a stroller whine to her mum, "I want juice!" She whinged and cried and demanded a particular colour while the mum tried to keep her happy and comply.

Such a rude disrespectful way to speak to your parents. 'I want' is a demand no child should be making. It's even worse when the parent responds with ok, alright or yes. This only reinforces the child's belief they're allowed to be demanding and get everything they want.
The correct response should be, "I beg your pardon? Where's your manners?" or "No, you're not getting that because you didn't ask nicely." or even just plain old "No."

Are you one of those parents who think your child should get every sugary snack they 'want', or you think they deserve that treat once a day, once a week, once a month, or are you unable to say no and deal with their demands and tantrums? In any case you should be saying no on principle. Your children should be asking nicely, using their manners, understanding they don't get to make demands or call the shots. Remember you're the boss, you are in charge, not your children.

Your children should be asking, "Can I please have ...?" You say no or yes and when you say no (which sometimes you will or should) they need to accept that answer and move on.

It maybe something that your children 'want' that but the real question is: do they need it? Also have they asked in a respectful well mannered way? If not the answer should always be no until such time as they can ask politely.

No comments:

Post a Comment