Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 November 2015

Fussy eater

I think most parents have at least one fussy eater during their time. Either their own children or another child they're looking after. For me it's my youngest. The list of foods they won't eat is long and their reaction to being served foods they refuse to eat is tiresome and annoying.

They burst into tears each and every time they're is given something they don't like. They'll be given mashed potato, sausages and beans and be in tears because they don't like mashed potato and beans. They'll be given a jam sandwich and burst into tears because they don't like jam. They'll burst into tears because they don't like bananas, or carrots, or Brussels sprouts (ok, I understand that one), or peas, or corn, or lettuce, or tomato...

The list of dislikes is endless, if not growing, while the choice of likes mostly revolves around foods that don't hold much nutritional value - such as foods made with processed wheat and sweets. I don't really understand the outbursts either because it's not as though they work. They don't get another meal in it's place. They don't get to eat the bits they like and leave the bits they don't; that results in being sent to bed or not getting anything else to eat until the other food is eaten. Yet they continue to cry and cry and cry each time they're served something they don't like.

I'm getting to breaking point with this child because my other children understand how food works in our house. It is a privilege to be getting food because many people go without wholesome foods daily.

Seriously there are people going hungry as we speak, homeless people with no means of getting a decent meal, poverty stricken countries with no means of feeding their people, and overweight people making really bad food choices and killing themselves and their children slowly.

Meals in our house are, majority of the time, nutritional and good for the body. They contain necessary nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Very little sugar, very little artificial additives, very little salt. So I consider that my children are blessed to be eating healthily and not having to starve or worry about when their next meal will come.

Still, as I said, I'm reaching breaking point with this child, so I'm going to try a different tactic for a week (or however long it takes to work or fail!) I'm going to start taking the plate away and removing them from the dinner table as soon as they cry over a meal.

"Don't want it? Then leave the table."

I'm going to see how long it takes to train them not to cry every-time they're is served something they don't like. They don't have to eat the meal. They can go hungry if they want, but please stop the crying!
I'll keep you updated on how we progress.

UPDATE:

It worked! Within days of being told 'leave the table' my child stopped crying when food was served and generally ate what was given for the most part.

As they've gotten older their dislikes have decreased and they're open to trying more foods. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment