Search This Blog

Thursday 3 May 2018

How strict am I?

Just how strict a parent am I and how do I compare to you and others?  Let's explore that...

My child was told by my partner that they could not go to their friend's after school because they'd been the night before, and my partner felt it was best to at least go every second night. I agreed.

When my partner left for work I reiterated to my child that they needed to come home after school, no going to the friend's house. They asked if the friends could come back to our house and I said that's fine.

Come 5:30pm my child isn't home from school and phones from the friend's house asking if they could stay for dinner. Um... no! You were meant to come home straight after school!

The father of the friend returns my child home and suggests we have pre-organised days where my child can go over such as Tuesdays and Fridays. He said if his child didn't come home he would have been worried. I wasn't worried, I knew where my son was... I was angry! I said it's not about the days so much, although I don't want them going over too often, it's about them deliberately disobeying me.

I thanked the man for dropping my child home, closed the front door and said to my child, "Time for bed, night night, it's not up for discussion, off you go, see ya later.."

They go to bed without dinner and are grounded for the rest of the week (including the weekend).

That's how strict I am.  

It's unlikely my child will disobey us again in this regard. They might try to push other boundaries (this child is a little more rebellious than his siblings) to which I will put my foot down, but it's doubtful they'll do this particular thing again.

How about you? What would you do in this situation? How would handle being blatantly disobeyed?

No comments:

Post a Comment