Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 April 2018

Phrases and sayings I grew up with

"This hurts me more than it hurts you."

Debatable since it usually meant we were getting a hiding. Chances are it hurts the children way more than mum or dad.

"I'm doing this because I love you."

Um... yeah.  Your way of showing loving through hitting us because we were naughty isn't quite sending me the I love you message you think it's sending.

"Stop crying or you'll get another one."

Really love that one. Stop crying about being hurt (hit/belted) or else you get more hittings or beltings.  Sounds reasonable... NOT!

"Say that again and I'll wash your mouth out with soap."

This did help us children not to swear or cuss, especially since sometimes mum used our teeth as a soap grater. Yuk!

"If you swallow apple seeds you'll have a tree growing out your ears."

I believed this wholeheartedly as a child and had visions of trees growing out of people's bodies.

"If you eat your crusts your hair will go curly."

This myth is busted. I ate all my crusts all of the time and have dead straight hair to show for it.

"There's plenty of water in the tap."

Hated that one because sometimes I just wanted some cordial or food.

Mum = "Don't touch." 
Me = "I'm just looking." 
Mum = "You see with your eyes not your hands."

Fair point!

"It's rude to stair", "It's rude to point"

Again, fair point. Good manners. 

.........

What sayings did you grow up hearing and how did they affect you?

No comments:

Post a Comment