Search This Blog

Thursday 24 January 2019

Fitness parents vs unfit parents

I was at a fitness center the other day and heard other parents talking about what they DON'T give their children.

Things like soft drink, lollies, junk food, chips. These mums and dads were very health food conscious and were raising their children to be the same.

Like me, their children might have those things on occasions like parties a couple of times a year, yet we don't store stuff like that in our house (often). It was refreshing because I don't often meet parents who feel that way about food, the same way I do. Aside from family who were raised the same as me.

Often I meet parents who are gob smacked when they find out I rarely let my children have soft drink.

"You don't give your children soft drink?" they ask, thinking I'm odd. Perhaps I am odd compared to most parents?

The thing is, those parents that do feed their children junk are overweight themselves and not setting a really good example of what's good for them and what isn't.

I am a firm believer that as a parent it is my job to instill a good sense of nutrition in my children. They don't know this stuff and are looking to me to point the way, show them what foods are good and how to prepare them. Cooking is an essential part of raising children.

It is your job to make sure your children have the best (healthiest) adult life they can. You don't want to give them diabetes, clog their arteries, give them heart attacks and rot their teeth.

If they don't learn it from you, the parent(s), who will teach them?

How about you? Which parenting type best describes you? Fitness parent or unfit parent?

No comments:

Post a Comment