Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 June 2015

Pay attention to the good things


Recently I caught my child eating in a room they're not meant to eat in. Yes we have 'no food allowed' rooms. It saves on cleaning and we all know how relentless cleaning is, especially when there are children involved.

At first I was cross with them and gave them stern words about being in a room with food when they know they're not allowed to eat in there. They tried to tell me they didn't know that rule which caused me to have more words about how untrue that statement is.

I was stern, but not too cross, because it is just a room and no harm was done.
As soon as I saw them tidying up, and doing a very good job at it, I complimented them on how well they were cleaning up after themselves.

Even in situations where something undesirable has happened it is necessary to find a positive thing to thank them for. It takes away from the harsh words dished out to them and turns the situation into a positive where they're left feeling good because they did something good.

Another example of that is when one child was doing something irritating to another sibling and I asked them to stop. They stopped straight away, so I thanked them for listening and stopping straight away. Immediately I have taken emphasis away from the negative aspect of their actions and concentrated on the positive. This gives children a sense that they're not always wrong or failing, not always being naughty and always getting told off. It reinforces their belief that they're good at many things and mum and dad have noticed.

It also helps for next time because they'll remember how they got complimented for stopping straight away and want to have that moment again. Even if they don't remember for next time, their brains will remember the compliments, the encouragement, the positivity shown towards them. So important for children because you don't want them feeling lousy and like they can't get anything right.

You want them to know the things they do get right and how proud you are of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment