Search This Blog

Wednesday 19 September 2018

My children aren't angels

I feel I have to point that out because it's one of the first things other parents say to me if I call their children out on poor behavior. "Oh well what abut your child..!" It's as though they feel like unless your child is perfect you aren't allowed to notice anything about other people's children.

Here's the thing:
1) It's true my children aren't perfect, they have their irritating quirks and bad behaviors as well.
2) I'm not the perfect parent. There are still things I get wrong or don't feel I do well.
3) I don't mind if people point out the bits I'm missing.

I've had friends tell me I might want to pay attention to a particular behavior my child is exhibiting and I take the advice on board. I know that parents can be blind to their own children's annoying traits (or hyper obsessive about them) and I like to know if there's something they're seeing that I'm not.

Knowing the areas to improve on is a good thing. Life is all about learning and growing and developing into better human beings.

When meeting parents who are closed off to the idea that something about them or their child's behavior is off, that's when navigating a relationship can get tricky.

It isn't about pointing out failings or laying blame because we're all doing the best we can with whatever knowledge we have on hand. Some people have more access to knowledge and help than others. Those with the knowledge have a responsibility to share that knowledge and educate others. Where it gets messy is when meeting someone who doesn't want to hear it yet is the very person who needs the information.

That's what this blog is about. If you read a tale here or there and think maybe that sounds like you or your child, or someone you know, you can use the information to develop new strategies. In cases where I am straight up calling a parent out for being lazy this is not to shame that parent but to show others what ignorance looks like. Keep in mind those parents have no idea what isn't working for them, let alone why.

Maybe the sh*t has been hitting the fan in your world and you didn't know why until you read a post here. Maybe you read a post and come away with a new perspective or skill or just a little bit stronger than you were yesterday... or you're one of the lucky ones who says "Hey I do that awesome bit of parenting".

Either way it's not about better or worse or shaming or perfection. It is about sharing knowledge and passing on a particular skill set to those who wish to learn that skill set.

What skills do you have that you can share with other parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment