Search This Blog

Sunday 28 April 2019

Are you raising a sociopath?

It's an odd question because how would you know, right? You might think there's something wrong with your child and there isn't. Or you might think your child is fine and they're not.

let me give you a scenario that might help you understand the title a little bit better.

We had friends come and stay with us for over a week and it didn't take long before I was feeling agitated by their children's' lack of discipline
Having them stay was a horror story of epic proportions!

Aside from the fact that her children are ridiculously messy and aren't made to clean up after themselves (that's the dad's or the host's (us) job according to the mother), are rude and obnoxious to adults, don't finish meals then help themselves to more food and drink, talk back to their parents, hit and hurt other children to the point of physical harm in some cases, sometimes hit and hurt their mum, have jealous outbursts, damage other people's property, gloat if they get my children in trouble, stay up late (when I'm over them by noon... lol), don't respect other adults enough to stop when they're asked to stop...  The kind of children who say "You're not my boss" if you reprimand them.

One child liked to kill critters and animals!

Here's how it went down.

My children would play at the dam and find yabbies and frogs, or dragonflies, moths and other insects.  They'd bring them back to the house in buckets or jars all excited to show us parents what they've got. They would look after and care for these creatures, feed them, make sure they're ok and keep them for a little before setting them free.

My friend's son would cry and have a mini tantrum because my children had critters and he didn't. "I just want to look!" he wailed. Until his parents would convince my children to show him their catch. Their son would then put the critter in his hand and squeeze it dead because if he couldn't have it no-one can. The first time he did this we (my family) were horrified and gob smacked! Poor critters!

His parents on the other hand didn't give a sh*t. They didn't see this as alarming behavior, or even perhaps sociopathic in any way. They didn't even have words with him let alone punish his behavior. And each time, I kid you not, their son cried and carried on because he didn't have any critters of his own they would insist my children share... only to have the critters be killed again.

I had a private word with my children and told them if they find critters to keep it a secret and not to tell anyone, or wait until that boy wasn't around before collecting critters.

Point is, whether this boy is a sociopath or not, there is obviously something very wrong with his thinking. He was ruled by jealousy over others having things he didn't have, he wanted to take them away from my children and had no issue killing if that's what it took to stop my children from having critters he didn't have. You don't end up like that if your home life is good and happy.

Yet his parents couldn't see it, they simply claim he has ODD, and believe my children enjoy getting their children in trouble.

The saddest part about this is people don't like visiting them or having them over because the children don't behave and the parents don't discipline and the children get a way with too much horrible behavior. This makes for really unlikable children to be around!

Have you met a child like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment