Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 December 2014

No TV before school

I have friends who struggle to get their children ready for school. They tell me their children are too busy watching TV in the morning and don't get ready.

Seems like the obvious solution would be to turn the TV off, right! I suggest that to them and they look at me like that is some foreign concept they couldn't possibly understand.

When my eldest child was in his first year of school I went in for one of those parent teacher interviews. I still remember how surprised and impressed his teacher was when I told her I don't allow my child to watch TV before school.

Unless your children are watching a game show where they have to guess answers and learn something there really isn't much point to sitting them down in front of the idiot box (as my dad calls it). It's referred to as the idiot box for a reason.

TV switches off your brain because you don't' need to think. It does the thinking for you. You sit and are automatically entertained. Having your child's brain switched off before school is a really bad idea because they need their brain to be active in order to learn.

Keep that TV off. Let your child's mind wake up on it's own and be ready for learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment