Search This Blog

Monday 1 December 2014

Teach children to like the opposite sex

We mimic what we learn from our parents. If mum talks about how bad dad is because he's a good for nothing man who watches sport and drinks all day, or if dad talks about how mum is lazy and just spends all his money, children pick up on that. They grow up with distorted views on men and women.

Quite often you'll hear men talking about females like 'I'd like to get into that' which is cringe worthy. It is no more better to raise your son that way than to raise a daughter with the view to 'Take him for all he's worth'. Not ok to raise your children to be sexist dicks who disrespect the opposite sex.
Both men and women have amazing qualities, many similar, some different and as parents we need to embrace our partners and teach our children to do the same.

For example I am a crappy soccer mum. Can't stand sports even when my children are the ones playing. I'd like to be excited about them kicking a goal or whatever, I'm just not. My idea of taking them to sports is sleeping in the back seat of the car while they play or burying my head in a good book. My partner, on the other hand, likes to do that so I leave that to them and I'm grateful for their love of sports.

Making, baking and being crafty is more my thing. I like to help the children make something or have them help me. That is what I'm good at and my partner appreciates that because they can sit and watch sport while we occupy ourselves.

We both appreciate that we each have certain qualities and certain areas we're better at and we're thankful for each other for that.

Instead of harping on to your children and friends about how crappy your partner or the opposite sex is try to find the good things about them. Point it out and pay attention to those things no matter how small. If you really can't find anything good to say about your partner at least do NOT put them down in front of your children. Let them grow up not having preconceived ideas about how dumb men and women are. One day they'll be married and you'd like it for them to have partners they appreciate and respect. Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment